Image courtesy of FAA
Interested to see what airspace improvements the FAA has in mind for the Denver Metro Area? The agency says it has planned 11 public information workshops in April and May of this year on proposed improvements as part of the Denver Metroplex project.
The project aims to use streamlined satellite navigation to optimize aircraft arrival and departure procedures to and from various airports. This could include modifying existing air routes with new satellite-based routes. Affected airports include Denver International Airport (DEN), Centennial Airport (APA), Greeley-Weld County Airport (GXY), Fort Collins – Loveland Municipal Airport (FNL), Buckley Air Force Base (BKF), Front Range Airport (FTG) and Rocky Mountain Metropolitan Airport (BJC).
“Satellite technology enables the FAA to create more direct air routes as well as routes that are automatically separated from one another,” the administration says. “It also enables the FAA to build highly efficient climbs and descents into departure and arrival routes, which has yielded significant environmental benefits in a number of locations throughout the country.”
Workshops are planned for evening times, and are to be held in Open House format. FAA representatives would provide information and answer questions. Spanish interpreters would also be made available if requested by the hosting city. Feedback is what the FAA is after, to help determine whether it should make changes to the preliminary designs before beginning the project’s draft Environmental Assessment. More public workshops would be held after the draft is completed (expected for 2018).
The workshops are planned for the following dates in Colorado:
- Monday, April 3, 6-8:30 p.m.: Front Range Airport, Executive FBO Training Room in Watkins
- Tuesday, April 4, 6-8:30 p.m.: Aurora Municipal Building Lobby in Aurora
- Wednesday, April 5, 6-8:30 p.m.: Erie Community Center in Erie
- Thursday, April 6, 5-7:30 p.m.: Green Valley Ranch Recreation Center in Denver
- Monday, April 17, 5:30-8 p.m.: Boulder Library Main Branch in Boulder
- Tuesday, April 18, 6-8:30 p.m.: City of Greenwood Village in Greenwood Village
- Wednesday, April 19, 5:30-8:00 p.m.: Douglas County Library in Parker
- Thursday, April 20, 6-8:30 p.m.: Chatfield Senior High School in Littleton
- Monday, May 1, 5:30-7:30 p.m.: Metropolitan State University of Denver in Denver
- Tuesday, May 2, 6-8:30 p.m.: Rocky Mtn. Metro Airport in Broomfield
- Wednesday, May 3, 5:30-7:30 p.m.: Stuart Middle School in Commerce City