During a ceremony held Monday at Garrison Petawawa, the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) formally graduated its first class of CH-147F Chinook helicopter aircrews who took part in the new, comprehensive Field Trials Course.
A total of 10 RCAF CH-147 Chinook aircrew—six first officers, two flight engineers and two loadmasters—officially graduated following an intensive 24-week course.
The first graduating class marks the culmination of a unique partnership between the RCAF and CAE to design and develop a world-class total training system for Canada's CH-147F Chinook helicopter aircrews. The RCAF's CH-147F Chinook training program involves a blend of computer-based classroom and academic training, flight simulator and training device instruction, and on-aircraft live flying exercises. Approximately 60% of the training program is conducted in both the classroom and synthetic training devices with the remaining 40% focused on live flying training and exercises.
Beginning in August 2015, the RCAF's CH-147F aircrew began classroom and academic training using CAE Simfinity computer-based training courses, desktop trainers and instructor tools to bring high-fidelity virtual training to the RCAF's CH-147F ground school. Classroom and academic training was complemented by practical training and exercises using the suite of CAE-built CH-147F training devices, including full-motion weapon systems trainer, fixed-based flight training device, deployable tactical flight training device and integrated gunnery trainer. Throughout the Field Trials Course, the RCAF's CH-147F First Officer's, Flight Engineers and Loadmasters received on-aircraft live flying training. Classroom, simulator and live flying instruction is provided by both RCAF and CAE instructors.
The RCAF's new medium-to-heavy lift helicopters training facility is located at Garrison Petawawa in Ontario. CAE was the prime contractor responsible for leading the design and development of the RCAF's CH-147F aircrew training solution and has now commenced with providing 20 years of in-service support.
Photo courtesy of CAE