Sunday, January 1, 2012
Donaldson Aerospace and Defense
Aerospace companies and military forces around the world have relied for decades on Donaldson Aerospace and Defense, a division of the Donaldson Company (NYSE: DCI), for high-performance filtration systems for commercial and military propulsion systems.
In 2011, Donaldson reinforced its industry leadership by adding new customers, introducing new products, conducting extensive research, participating more broadly in industry events, expanding its facilities and contributing to the communities it serves.
Milestone IBF Deliveries
Filtration system deliveries reached several important milestones in 2011, most notably the 5,000th Inlet Barrier Filtration (IBF) System delivery, installed on a Bell 429 helicopter and celebrated at Heli-Expo 2011 in Orlando, Fla. The company also completed many other critical deliveries and installations:
• Delivered AW139 and AW109E/S/SP Barrier Filter Systems to Saudi Aramco to assist in critical engine protection needs.
• Delivered the first ever Barrier Filter System for the AgustaWestland AW109SP to U.S. launch customer Intermountain Healthcare’s IHC LifeFlight.
• Donaldson IBFs help ensure optimal service to Florida residents and visitors who need emergency aero-medical transport from the Lee County MEDSTAR Bell 430 twin-engine helicopter.
• Delivered the first Barrier Filter System available for the Eurocopter AS350B3e to various international operators as well as Papillon Grand Canyon Helicopters.
• Donaldson helped the Sonoma County, Calif., Sheriff’s Office improve aerial rescue, patrol and support operations by installing an inlet barrier filter on “Henry-1,” the Sheriff’s Office Bell 407 helicopter.
• During the 2011 Super Bowl in Dallas, Texas, Dallas Police Department Helicopter Unit Bell 206Bs equipped with Donaldson IBFs provided continuous security.
• The Los Angeles City Fire Department added IBF systems to its AgustaWestland 139 twin-engine medium helicopter fleet, ensuring safe flight while conducting rescues, fire-fighting support and other vital missions in hazardous, debris-filled environments.
• Completed delivery of first AW109E IBF to Chilean National Police.
• The Los Angeles County Sheriff Department’s Aero Bureau’s 12 new American Eurocopter AS350B2 AStar helicopters are equipped with Donaldson IBFs to prevent ingestion of airborne contaminants during flight operations without affecting the rotorcraft’s engine power and life capabilities.
• Donaldson systems also serve many international customers. The company is providing IBF systems and avionics bay filtration for 26 new Bell 407 Trainers and Armed Scout Helicopters deployed with Iraq’s Security Forces.
Impressive Cost Savings
Donaldson’s participation at Heli-Expo 2011 also showcased its new IBF system for the AgustaWestland AW109 Power, Grand, and Grand New (E/S/SP) helicopters. Donaldson also sponsored its first Heli-Expo presentation on Inlet Barrier Filters for rotary-wing operators. In addition, Donaldson published findings of major research that shows installation of advanced-technology IBFs provide impressive cost savings, enabling helicopter operators to recoup installation investments in a year or less and to save on engine maintenance costs by reducing engine overhauls, saving millions of dollars over several years.
Also in 2011, Donaldson Aerospace and Defense lengthened its list of Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) or Transport Canada (TC) Supplemental Type Certificates (STCs) for IBF installation in helicopters including the:
• AgustaWestland AW139
• AgustaWestland AW109 Power, Grand, and Grand New (E/S/SP)
• AgustaWestland A119/AW119 Ke
• Eurocopter AS350B3e with the Turbomeca Arriel 2D engine
• Bell 230
Thanks to strong business, Donaldson relocated its St. Louis, Mo., office and manufacturing plant to a much larger facility. The new location enables Donaldson to handle more extensive operations, including a broader product line, and prepare for future growth.
Finally, Donaldson and its team of employees made numerous financial contributions to, and provided personal support for local and national charitable organizations. For example, the Donaldson Foundation donated $15,000 to the Army Aviation Association of America (AAAA) Scholarship Foundation for an endowed college scholarship of at least $1,000 annually at AAAA’s Lindbergh chapter in St. Louis.
Donaldson provides certified IBF solutions for the AgustaWestland AW109E/S/SP, AW119, AW119Ke and AW139; Bell 205A1, 206B, 407, 206L-3/4, 206L-1(C30), 429 and 430; Eurocopter EC130, AS350 B/BA/B1/B2/B3, AS350s with Soloy or Heli-Lynx Honeywell engine conversions and MD Helicopters MD 369H Series, MD 500D/E/F and MD 900/902.
Donaldson’s 12,500 employees support customers at more than 100 sales, manufacturing, and distribution locations around the world.
Additional information is available at www.donaldsonaerospace-defense.com