The U.S. Air Force has asked the General Accountability Office (GAO) to reconsider its Feb. 26 decision sustaining protests by Lockheed Martin
and Sikorsky Aircraft
against the Combat Search and Rescue-X (CSAR-X) contract the service awarded to Boeing
and its HH-47. The GAO last week told the Air Force that decision was based on only one of more than 20 points raised by the protesters, all of which have yet to be reviewed but could be if the Air Force doesn’t re-bid the contract to replace its roughly 100 Sikorsky HH-60G CSAR Pave Hawks. The service wants all the points reviewed now. Replacing the Pave Hawks, which are underpowered, overloaded, and costly to maintain, is one of USAF’s top priorities. The Air Force said it is “thoroughly reviewing the GAO decision” and is “committed to openness and transparency while maintaining the integrity of our acquisition system.” The Air Force has until late May to respond to the GAO re-bid recommendation.
For related news