|Airbus and SIAEC will open an MRO facility in Singapore for the A380, A350. Photo: Airbus|
[Avionics Today 02-17-2016] Airbus and SIA Engineering Company (SIAEC), a major provider of aircraft Maintenance, Repair, and Overhaul (MRO) services in the Asia-Pacific region, have signed an agreement to form a joint venture based in Singapore. The new company will provide airframe maintenance, cabin upgrade and modification services for Airbus A380, A350 and A330 aircraft to airlines in Asia Pacific.
The joint venture will leverage SIAEC’s extensive maintenance experience with Airbus’ technical and engineering knowledge as an airframe manufacturer. The new company will lease two hangar bays from SIAEC for its operations, with plans to add another two hangar bays over the next six years. The joint venture will be Airbus’ Centre of Excellence in Asia for the heavy maintenance of the A380 the A350.
Under the agreement, subject to regulatory approval, SIAEC will hold a 65 percent equity stake in the joint venture, with Airbus holding the remaining 35 percent.